ICT center of Dilla University was established in 2008 as a computer center, by deploying dialup connection, out-reaching management offices. Lack of professionals characterizes the center, where instructors from mathematics and physics departments were assigned to manage and coordinate the office. It was later in 2007 that an optical fiber installation was activated, exploring almost all the buildings of the time. Despite the launched developments, its functionality and perpetuity was obstructed for lack of documentation to refer, and the temporary instability due to institutional partitioning from the Debub University.
Ever since its establishment, the center has been working closely with different sections of the university to create awareness of ICT, giving training for some staff members of the University, and most importantly to expand network and Internet facilities for the University community. The office is currently organized as an ICT Directorate office level with one director, five team leaders and more than 38 professional and supportive staffs.
The strategic plan of the ICT directrorate office is designed from University’s strategic plan and expected to excel the academic and administrative wings of the University meeting strong need and utilization of ICT infrastructures and services. The strategic plan is strongly address ICT development areas of the university in the near coming two years.
To become a dynamic Directorate of ICT Excellence center propelling Dilla University to be one of top ten Universities of East Africa in 2013
Develop high-tech ICT infrastructure and provide superior quality services whereby the teaching, learning, research, and administrative activities of the university are carried out by utilizing the resources and services efficiently and effectively.
Ensure that ICT is fully integrated into every operations of the University in order to speed up and improve quality of activities of Dilla University.
- Our obligations will be executed with commitment and professionalism
- We will maintain a sense of self respect, discipline, and responsibility
- We commit ourselves to the practice of teamwork
- We embrace efficacy and excellence
- Provide sustainable and quality ICT infrastructure and improve student and staff access to ICT resources in line with University priorities.
- Ensure all staff members are motivated and skilled in the use of ICT to spark the culture of continuous development in ICT expertise and exposures.
- Initiate/Develop/Supervise application development for different sections of the University and provide ongoing maintenance of both the software and the hardware.
- Building a digital teaching-learning environment both in terms of teaching-learning materials and digital resource sharing, promoting interactive academic and professional communications between teachers, administrative staff, researchers and students.
- Provide on time and online user support platform for the University community.
- Establish a dynamic and adaptive online University communication network serving internal and external users.
- Expand training and consultancy wings, including income-generating schemes, gearing to introduce and promote ICT to the internal and external community, by raising the capabilities and efficiencies in ICT use.
- Use ICT to for e-learning, smart rooms, video conferencing and tele-medicine